Thursday 26 May 2016

Memuaris: Back to the USSR / Work & Love

Hello there! This month, I've been inspired by art shows and one of them went really well to combine with the unusual theme of the Memuaris Challenge: Back to the USSR.



The exhibition was featuring art from the Soviet Union, and this delightful women at work scene that I scrapped is called Weavers by Vladimir Myagkov.



For us in Finland, the Soviet Union was of course our neighbor like Russia is now. I was nearly grown up at the transition time so I have plenty of memories from that time. I also read Russian at school since age 13 through High School. That wasn't something we had to do, but I'm very attracted to the language and have always been.



I used the May Week 4 Sketch by Brenshevia Baker at Lets' Get Sketchy (rotating it to the left) and was also inspired by the challenge at Our Creative Corner: Hit the Books.





I was really happy with the background I made splashing with different paints: tube watercolours, acrylic inks and mists. I meant to keep the layout really simple and in the end, I wish I had left a little more empty space. That said, I'm mostly happy with my layout, anyway! It was really inspiring to work on a very different theme than usually.

I like how I used mainly just the buttons for embellishments, and just a few wood veneer ones. My favourite things in the layout are the long title (from a song lyrics) and how I used the Russian alphabet and dressmaking stencils in a less usual way: tracing with pencil.



Thank you for coming and especially for commenting, as always!

12 comments:

  1. Super cool design! I love the background color and the fun mix of embellishments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun background, thanks so much for joining us at LGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the way you turned the sketch! Nice page! Thanks for joining in at LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Background! Thank you for joining us at LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun layout! Thank you for your work at Memuaris!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Очень интересная работа, спасибо за участие в нашем задании, ТМ Мемуарис

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo cool!!!
    Thanks for sharing it with us @LGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Special and cool page!Thanks for joining us at LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a stunning take on the sketch! Thanks for joining us at LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG what a Wonderful page Salla!!!! Your background is gorgeous!!!! Thank you for joining us @LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning page, I love everything about it. Your background is great. Thanks for joining in at Let's Get Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A stunning page with so many wonderful elements. Thank you for sharing it with us at Our Creative Corner for our Hit the Books Challenge. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete