Sunday 16 August 2015

Happy Orange: Altered Photo Frame for Scrap Africa DT

Hi all, and happy Sunday! Today I'm sharing this bright and sunny photo frame, my DT project for the current Scrap Africa #57 challenge.



This is what the mood board looks like! I was inspired by all the juicy shades of orange, the pop of purple in the woman's outfit and also the chevron pattern.



I found this photo frame with the fun round shapes in a Red Cross thrift store. The inside lines of the holes happened to be orange to begin with - if they weren't I'm not sure if I'd have thought of that!



I covered the frame with gesso and glued some torn book pages and other collage bits here and there, so that the paint began to stick better than to the glossy original surface of the frame.



I painted the background once with two shades of orange and then made the raised patterns stenciling with modeling paste. Then more layers of paint, wiping some of it off with baby wipes and stenciling some more with just paint. That's the chevron pattern, not showing through a lot but still one of the things that inspired me in the Scrap Africa mood board!



With this project, I'm also joining the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #15, with the theme of Get Texty! Torn book pages are one of my favourite collage elements, I really like the effect of them showing a bit here and there.



Two more challenges I'm playing along with this month are the We Love to Create and Scraps N Pieces Emporium Challenges, both of which had an Anything Goes theme.






>





One of the protagonists of my photo frame is starring here as well - the little one discovered that the board I was taking the photos on (on top of our bed) was a perfect toddler dance floor!



And here's how the frame looks like when standing up.



Thank you so much for popping in! I wish you all a nice crafty Sunday and a great new week! I also hope many of you are as inspired as I was with the Scrap Africa mood board and that you have time to join our happy crowd. The challenge is on until August 31st!

11 comments:

  1. Wow you've really transformed that frame! I love all the texture and the colours are beautiful. Thanks so much for joining us at We Love 2 Create this time
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is such a beautiful transformation, loving the texture and colors which are perfect to showcase your lovely black and white photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable frame! Love the texture and the colors - Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love your texture and loooove your colors! This is a great transformation! hihi! Thank you for playing with us at SnP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great colors and textures! Thank you for playing with us at Scraps n Pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely frame Salla !! Bright and joyful, perfect for children photos !! Great work with your textures too !! Thank you for joining us at SnP August challenge !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!!! Thank you for the tutorial! Really beautiful colors and techniques! Thank you for joining our challenge at Scraps N Pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the texture and techniques! !!!!I love this tutorial! Thanks for sharing at SNP challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great altered frame! I love the colors and textures that you used. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the modeling paste texture and your choice of colors. Thanks for playing along with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the texture in the corners and how you highlighted them with the purple hues. really pretty! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete